Here you go Saver! This recipe is from 1001 Muffins, Biscuits, Doughnuts, Pancakes, Waffles, Popovers, Fritters, Scones and Other Quick Breads by Gregg R. Gillespie.
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tbls baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed) ( I’ve used dark, it was fine)
- 3 Tbls. molasses
- 1 cup sour milk or buttermilk (Sour milk = 1 cup minus 1 Tbls milk plus 1 Tbls. vinegar. Let this sit 5 minutes or more before using.)
- 1/4 tsp. butter, melted (I don’t bother)
Some the instructions I’ve modified to suit us.
1) Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a muffin pan or line with paper baking cups.
2) In a large bowl, blend together all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, beat the egg, butter, and sugar together well. Then add the molasses and mix well (this will help keep the molasses from sinking to the bottom of the bowl when you add the milk.) Now add the milk and mix. Adding wet to dry, combine the two mixtures until the dry ingredients are just moistened.
3) Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full and bake 12 – 15 minutes. Toothpick inserted into the center of muffin should come out clean. Cool in pan on trivet or wire rack for 7 minutes and then remove and finish cooling on a wire rack. Or serve warm (yum). A narrow spatula run around the edge of the muffins will help loosen them from the pan. For me, this makes 11 muffins.